In 2020-2021, the revenue of Tata companies, taken together, was $103 billion (INR 7.7 trillion). All the companies of Tata Group collectively employ over 800,000 people.
It was 1868 when nobody knew that a giant Jamsetji Nusserwanji Tata is setting the foundation of India’s largest multinational conglomerate company, Tata. He was only 29 years old when he started a trading company with a capital of only Rs. 21,000. In 1904, when he passed away, his older son, Sir Dorabji Tata brought his grand vision for India to life. Sir Ratanji Tata, Jamsetji’s younger son, moved by widespread poverty in India, funded research into its causes at the University of London. From 1969 onwards, Tata Group is witnessing a period of bold acquisitions and partnerships with a focus on new inventions and technologies. Today, Tata group is a global enterprise comprising 30 companies across 10 verticals. Each Tata company runs independently under the supervision of its own board of directors. Tata Sons is the principal investment holding company and promoter of all Tata companies. Tata companies include:
1.TATA CONSULTANCY SERVICES
Revenue (2020-2021): Rs. 164,177 Crore
Popularly known as TCS by all brands, it is an IT services, consulting, and business solutions organization. It partners with many world’s largest companies in their transformation journeys. TCS has over 488,000 of the world’s best-trained consultants in 46 countries. The company generated consolidated revenues of US $22.2 billion in the fiscal year ended March 31, 2021, and is listed on the BSE (formerly Bombay Stock Exchange) and the NSE (National Stock Exchange) in India.
- In June 2021, Bharti Airtel and TCS announced a strategic partnership for implementing 5G network solutions for India. It will be available for commercial development from January 2022.
- TCS has launched IoT-powered Clever Energy Solution to help enterprises accelerate the shift towards net zero-emission.
2. TATA POWER
Net Income (2020-2021): Rs. 33,079 Crore
Known for pioneering the generation of electricity in India, Tata Power is India’s largest integrated power company, present across the entire power value chain of conventional and renewable energy, power services, and next-generation customer solutions including EV charging stations and solar rooftops. Today, Tata power has 12772 Megawatt of generation capacity where 30% comes from clean and green sources. However, the aim is to grow this to 40-50% in the next few years.
- Tata Power and Bluwave-ai have joined hands for AI Automation of Real-time Electricity Operations in Mumbai. The President of Tata Power, Mr. Sanjay Banga said “We are working with BluWave-ai to operationalize Artificial Intelligence in our day to day power distribution in Mumbai. Working with AI-enabled system improvements via cloud computing in real-time operations enhances our baseline systems resulting in higher operational efficiency and accuracy.”
- TVS Motors and Tata Power have collaborated on an electric two-wheeler charging eco-system in India. The aim is to drive the comprehensive implementation of Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure (EVCI) across India and deploy solar power technologies at TVS Motor locations.
3. TATA CHEMICALS
Revenue (2020-2021): Rs. 10,200 Crore
Serving society through science, Tata Chemicals traces its history back to 1927 when Okhamandal Salt Works was established. Tata Chemicals provides key ingredients to many of the world’s leading brands for glass, detergents, pharma, biscuit manufacturing, bakeries, and other industries. It is the third-largest soda ash manufacturer and 6th largest sodium bicarbonate manufacturer in the world.
- Tata Chemical Society for Rural Development (TCSRD) in association with Tata Community Initiative Trust (TCIT) commissioned the state-of-the-art Pressure Swing Adsorption Oxygen Plant at Mithapur Hospital. The plant is spread over 550 sq ft in area and has a capacity of 200 liters per minute.
- To encourage an equal opportunity environment, Tata Chemicals announced the Shri Darbari Seth Scholarship. This will be applicable to the students who are residents of Okhamandal, wards of Tata Chemicals’ employees, and students belonging to the focus segments as specified in the Company’s Diversity Policy.
4. TATA MOTORS
Revenue (2020-2021): Rs. 249,795 Crore
Tata Motors is a global automobile manufacturing company that believes in ‘Connecting aspirations’ by offering innovative mobility solutions to customers. Six key mobility drivers- modular architecture, connected & autonomous vehicles, shared mobility, complexity reduction in manufacturing, clean drivelines, and low total cost of ownership, will lead Tata Motors into the future.
- Tata Motors and TPG Rise Climate entered into a binding agreement in which TPG Rise Climate along with its co-investor ADQ, will invest in Tata Motors Subsidiary. N Chandrasekaran, the Chairman of Tata Motors said, “We are excited and committed to play a leading role in the Government’s vision to have a 30% electric vehicles penetration rate by 2030.”
- Tata Motors has signed a Solar Purchase agreement with Tata Power to install a 3 MWp Solar Rooftop Project at its Pune plant. The project will generate nearly 45 lakh KWh per year, reducing carbon emissions by 3,538 tonnes per year.
5. TATA STEEL
Revenue (2020-2021) : Rs. 156,294 Crore
Tata Steel is a leading global steel company with an annual steel production capacity of 33 MnTPA. With a complete focus on innovation, technology, sustainability, and people, Tata Steel strives to be the global steel industry benchmark for value creation and corporate citizenship. In India, the company caters to an array of market segments such as automotive, general engineering, construction, etc. In Europe, it is amongst the largest steel producers with a crude steel production capacity of over 12.3 MnTPA. With a strong global presence, Tata Steel supplies high-quality steel products to the demanding markets.
- Tata Steel has launched GreenPro certified rebar Tata Tiscon 550SD. This eco-friendly rebar is the next generation innovation in rebar technology and will provide more strength and safety, resulting in savings for the users.
- In July 2021, Tata Steel pioneered the deployment of Electric Vehicles for the transportation of finished steel in India. The aim of this initiative is to reduce GHG emissions and protect the environment in the long run.
6. TITAN COMPANY
Revenue (2017-2018): Rs. 16,209 Crore
Titan Company is a joint venture between the Tata Group and the Tamil Nadu Industrial Development Corporation. Tata is a big name now and is the fifth largest integrated watch manufacturing platform in the world. Today, Titan is famous for its Jewellery, watches, and eyewear collection. Titan’s popular brands includes Tanishq, Fastrack, Sonata and Raaga, Skinn, Taneira, Titan Eyeplus, etc. Since its inception in 1984, Titan is known for evoking superior craftsmanship, innovative technology, and trustworthy product quality.
- Titan has recently unveiled its latest collection ‘Sparkle’ for fashionable women. Titan Sparkle is an odd to bold, dynamic, and independent women. This is a collection of 22 watches that captures the feminine and bold side of women.
- Titan has introduced a range of products under the Fastrack brand, expanding its offerings in the wearables segment. It marks its entry into the audio accessories market.
7. TATA CAPITAL
Revenue (2020-2021): Rs. 9,985 Crore
Tata Capital is a customer-centric, secured, and one of the leading financial solutions partners that cater to the diverse needs of retail, institutional, and corporate customers. Its subsidiaries include Tata Mutual Fund, Tata Capital Financial Services Limited, Tata Capital Housing Finance Limited, Tata Cleantech Capital Limited. Tata Capital provides hassle-free, customizable, and tailored loans services to all its customers. From personal loans, home loans, to business, property, microfinance, and two-wheeler loans, Tata Capital offers a suite of financial services to help people achieve their goals and dreams.
8. TATA SKY
Revenue (2020-2021): Rs. 4,682 Crore
Tata Sky is a joint venture between Tata Sons and 21st Century Fox. It was the first company to launch platform and interactive services exclusively for the Indian market. Its revolutionary PVR technology gives its viewers unique features like Pause, Record, and Rewind live TV. Incorporated in 2001, it currently has 652 channels and services (498 SD, 91 HD channels, 25 interactive services, 16 SD, and 9 HD movie showcase). Its footprints are spread across 4 lakh towns with over 19 million connections in India.
- Tata Sky Binge partnered with CuriosityStream in November 2020 to bring world-class factual entertainment and documentaries for its subscribers.
- In September 2020, Tata Sky also launched Smart Guide – a one-click solution to access personalized content recommendations on the television, reinforcing its commitment to build customer-centric innovations.
9. TATA COMMUNICATIONS
Revenue (2020-2021): Rs. 17,100 Crore
Committed to delivering a new world of communications, Tata Communications unlocks opportunities for businesses by boosting product innovation, and customer experience, building agility and managing risk through secure, connected, and digital experiences. Today, the company carries around 30% of the world’s internet routes and connects businesses to 60% of the world’s cloud giants and 4 out of 5 mobile subscribers. It is listed on both the Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange of India.
- Cisco Meraki has been onboarded with the Tata Communications ecosystem to offer a world-class suite of wifi services based on the latest Wi-Fi 6 technology and SD-WAN services. The CTO of Tata Communications, Genius Wong said, “We are happy to further enhance our offerings to enable enterprises as they manage the growing demand of their business transformation in the new paradigm.”
- In July 2021, Tata Communications has launched IZO Private Cloud, a secure, compliant, and high performant cloud foundation to enhance the performance and security of banking and financial services.
10. TATA AUTOCOMP SYSTEMS
Tata AutoComp Systems is another leading company of Tata Group that provides products and services to the Indian as well as global automotive OEMs and Tier 1 suppliers. It has its own capabilities in Automotive Interior & Exterior Plastics, Composites, Sheet Metal Stampings, and Engineering and Supply Chain. Today, it has 41 manufacturing facilities spread across India and 8 facilities spread across Latin America, North America, China, and Europe.
- Tata AutoComp has tied with Tellus Power Green, a US-based DC Charging infrastructure company, to supply AC and DC fast chargers for its wide range of electric vehicles.
Other prominent companies of Tata Group include Tata Industries, Tata Teleservices, Tata International, Tata SIA Airlines, Tata AIA Life, Tata Realty and Infrastructure, Tata Consulting Engineers, Voltas, and Tata Consumer Products. Tata Group has recently emerged as the successful bidder of the disinvestment process of Air India, resulting in 100% stakes of Tata Group in Air India. The Tata Group today, retains the title of India’s most valuable brand. It has a valuation of US $21.3 billion, achieving an uplift of 6% in brand value.