Gudi Padwa is one of the most important Hindu festivals that marks the beginning of the new year. It is marked on the first day of the Indian month of Chaitra according to the lunar calendar. The day generally falls between March and April. This year, Gudi Padwa will be celebrated on March 22. This day is also celebrated as the Ugadi festival in Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana.
The word ‘Gudi’ symbolises the flag while Padwa or padava is a Sanskrit word which means the first day of a new Moon phase.
The date begins from 22nd March 2023 at 02:57 pm and ends on 23rd March at 05:26 pm.
Significance of Gudi Padwa
There are many stories behind the celebration of Gudi Padwa. This festival signifies the reaping of Rabi crops. This is the time when you find delicious mangoes all over the market.
It is also believed that on this day, the entire universe was created by Lord Brahma. Many believe that Lord Vishnu took the Matsya incarnation or the form of the fish on this day to save the Earth from destruction.
Some people celebrate Gudi Padwa as the day when Lord Rama returned to Ayodhya after fighting and winning the battle with the evil Ravana.
Gudi Padwa Celebrations
The day of Gudi Padwa begins with a ritualistic bath. People wear new clothes and offer prayers to gods and goddesses. People decorate their houses with rangolis, flowers, garlands, earthen lamps, and lights.
They make the Gudi flag which is a bamboo stick decorated with a colourful silk-like piece of cloth. Neem leaves and mango flowers are attached to it. After this, a bronze or copper kalash is capped on the top which signifies prosperity.
On this auspicious day, people pray for the well-being of their family and friends. They pray for a world free of all sufferings in society.
In some places, many communities also host a Gudhi in a common area and carry it together in a group to a nearby temple of the God Shiva.
Gudi Padwa 2023 Wishes For Family & Friends
- May you be bestowed with Happiness, Health & Wealth on this auspicious occasion of Gudi Padwa. Happy Gudi Padwa from us to you and your family!
- On this pious festival of Gudi Padwa, may all your enemies become your friends, the darkness of negativity fade away from your life, and you discover a new path full of opportunities. Wish you a very Happy Gudi Padwa!
- Today is the best day to unfold a new hope, a new beginning and a new dream. May this New Year brings your way, millions of joys and prosperity.
- May this pious festival of Gudi Padwa bring you happiness, success and joy. May all your sufferings fade away. Best wishes to you and your family on this Gudi Padwa!
- The atmosphere is filled with the spirit of hope and love. May this festival brings bright sparkles of contentment and joy your way. Wishing you a Happy Gudi Padwa!
- We wish your entire year is full of new joys, new successes, new adventures and an abundance of prosperity. Happy Gudi Padwa.
Festivals in March 2023
|Holi||8 March 2023||Wednesday|
|Chaitra Navratri, Ugadi, Gudi Padwa||22 March 2023||Wednesday|
|Gangaur (Gauri Puja)||24 March 2023||Friday|
Frequently Asked Questions:
In which state Gudi Padwa is famous?
Gudi Padwa is quite famous in the state of Maharashtra. People all over Maharashtra celebrate this festival with much delight.
Which god is worshipped on Gudi Padwa?
People worship the Hindu god Brahma on this day. The festival signifies the arrival of spring and the reaping of rabi crops.
Who started Gudi Padwa in Maharashtra?
The Maratha Warrior, Chhatrapati Shivaji started the tradition of celebrating Gudi Padwa.