Everything begins with an idea. Back in 1973, the idea of Alkem was born in the brilliant minds of a group of individuals. That idea when implemented led to the creation of one of India’s largest generic and specialty pharmaceutical companies which has now created a foothold in over 50 countries.
Headquartered in Mumbai, Alkem Laboratories is a leading Indian pharmaceutical company that is engaged in the development, manufacturing, and sale of various nutraceutical and pharmaceutical products. It has its manufacturing facilities at multiple locations in India and the United States of America. Alkem Laboratories has a strong global presence in prominent countries like United States, Australia, Europe, Southeast Asia, Latin America, Africa, and CIS. Currently, its key markets are Australia, Chile, the Philippines, and Kazakhstan.
Sandeep Singh is the Managing Director of the company and spearheads the domestic as well as the international operations of the organization.
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
Alkem Laboratories has a team of more than 500 researchers, stationed at 6 different R&D centers located in India and the USA. The team works on developing generics, transdermal drug delivery systems, oral films, difficult-to-produce technology-intensive products, and Novel Drug Delivery Systems (NDDS). Some of its capabilities include:
- Generics: This range includes oral solids, controlled substances, complex generics, topical, injectable, transdermal products, and oral liquids. It aims to introduce first-to-market products of the best quality.
- Proprietary: Alkem offers a wide range of products spanning multiple therapeutic categories with a vigorous R&D strategy. Some of its brands have been featured among the top 300 brands in the Indian pharmaceutical market like Clavam, Pan 40, Pan-D, Xone XP, Taxim Injection, Gemcal, Ondem, Xone, A to Z Tabs, Sumo, Zocef, Pipzo, Swich, Taxim-O, and Uprise D3.
- Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients: The company ensures world-class active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) research, development, and manufacturing. It uses comprehensive process analytical and scaleup safety assessment procedures or tools.
- Differentiated Products: Alkem Research Center focuses on the development of specialty and differentiated products like nasal sprays, oral sprays, topical, transdermal patches, oral films, osmotic drug delivery systems, and MUPS.
The Research Center of Alkem has successfully developed products and filled over 140 ANDAs (Abbreviated New Drug Applications) with USA FDA close to 60 products with TGA Australia.
Alkem Laboratories also has its manufacturing units. Main manufacturing operations produce generics, branded generics, over-the-counter (OTC) products, Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs), and nutraceuticals. All these are available in a full range of dosage forms which include injectables, liquids, and capsules. For the production of best-in-class products, it also has state-of-the-art facilities that employ cutting-edge techniques of manufacturing.
MISSION OF THE COMPANY
Making “enriching lives‘ its only priority, Alkem Laboratories finds the best collaborative solution for the development and launch of each and every product. Making a difference in the lives of patients is the unwavering commitment that Alkem makes every day. The company works relentlessly towards the production of top-quality generic products, branded generics, specialty products, active pharmaceutical ingredients, and nutraceuticals, which are marketed in India as well as worldwide.
CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
Alkem Laboratories believes that good health is the right of every Indian, therefore it regularly holds medical camps as well as runs an ambulance service. It works in different fields:
- Public Health: The Alkem Foundation strives to increase access to good quality healthcare services to economically disadvantaged sections of the society. It organizes medical camps for Cancer detection, Eye Cataract, TB, and Anemia, promoting hygiene awareness and adolescent health with special emphasis on the girl child.
- Education: To support the economically weaker sections, of the society, it partners with various NGOs and runs classes for children living in slums in Dharavi, Mumbai, and tribal areas of West Bengal and Indore. It has also constructed and modified various Anganwadi Centers into Modern Anganwadi Centers in Daman.
- Rural Development: With an aim of creating employment and equal opportunities for disadvantaged women in rural areas, Alkem provides stitching training to women at Baddi and Naugama (Gujarat) and Daman. It also provides basic infrastructure facilities like toilets and hygiene drinking water to help villagers in improving their health and reducing the spread of water-borne diseases.
- Covid 19 Project: The company has supported the Government Health Department of Sikkim and Daman in the establishment of Covid-19 Testing and Diagnostic Lab in both states.
AWARDS AND MILESTONES
Alkem Laboratories has added many feathers to its cap. Some of the awards it has received so far are:
- Best IT Team of The Year Award at “CIO Conclave and Awards 2020” organized by UBS Forums.
- Recognized as India’s Best Workplaces in Biotechnology & Pharmaceuticals in 2021 by Great Place to Work
- Express Pharma Excellence Award at Pharma CXO Summit 2019
- Rising Digital Star of The Year Award
With an adventurous and exciting journey of more than five decades, Alkem Laboratories has proudly earned the status of being one of the leading global pharmaceutical formulation development, manufacturing, and marketing companies of India.