Whatsapp is the most popular and largest mobile messenger app with over 2 billion monthly active users. With its great popularity, Whatsapp also attracts potential cyber threats and privacy issues. Every now and then, Whatsapp creates headlines for the privacy and security of its users. The truth is that no social media platform is fully secured from hackers.
Even though Whatsapp claims that the app and user’s privacy are fully secured with end-to-end encryption, there are many incidents that cannot go unnoticed. Despite all these security layers, hackers still manage to breach the security walls and can get access to your personal information.
Whatsapp is used by almost everyone today. And we do not want to share our messages with anyone, especially without our consent. But what if we tell you that there is a possibility that someone can read all your private messages and chats without you knowing? Yes, this is possible and that is why it is very important to check the settings of Whatsapp on your smartphone to secure yourself from a cyber attack.
Here in this article, we are going to tell you how you can secure your WhatsApp chats from hackers without much technical knowledge. So, no one can spy on you and read your chats without your permission.
TIPS TO PREVENT FROM GETTING HACKED
WhatsApp can only work on one mobile with one registered number. It cannot work on two devices simultaneously. So, if you cannot get access to your WhatsApp account it means that someone else is using your Whatsapp account and reading your chats and your personal information. Here are some tips to secure your account from getting hacked:
- Do not leave your phone unattended when you are in a public place. Leaving your phone out gives hackers chance to hack WhatsApp using the phone number. This is the first and foremost step that you should take care of.
- Secure all the apps on your phone with a lock or password. Try using a password that is hard to guess. So that even if someone gets access to your phone, he/she cannot get through your apps. The best way to protect your device is through fingerprints.
- Avoid connecting your phone or device to any unknown Wi-Fi connection. Keep in mind that hackers have more technical knowledge than you and can easily get inside your phone using an unsecured connection. Usually, hackers use the MAC address to hack your WhatsApp and read all your messages and chats.
- Always enable two-step verification to add an extra layer of security to your WhatsApp account. This setting allows the users to access the WhatsApp account only after entering the 6-digit code that the user receives via SMS on the registered number. Therefore, hackers cannot get access to any message on WhatsApp without the verification code.
- Keep the security notification on. When a new device accesses the existing chat, it generates a new security code. And the security notification sends you an alert every time the security code changes.
HOW TO CHECK IF SOMEONE IS USING YOUR ACCOUNT
The user-friendly features of WhatsApp made it very convenient to check if your account is getting used by someone else or not. It doesn’t take much technical expertise, you can easily check by following these simple steps:
- Step 1: Open your WhatsApp and you can see the three dots in the upper right-hand side corner. Tap and open those three dots.
- Step 2: After tapping on three dots, you can see the 4-5 setting options in front of you. Click on the ‘Linked Devices’ option.
- Step 3: You can see the list of all the devices that are using your WhatsApp account. And if you find any device that is not known to you, log out from that device from your phone.
Apart from this, you can also keep a close eye on your WhatsApp activities. Any unusual activity like a message that you didn’t send or receive can also be done by the hacker. Also, keep close track of saved contact information on your phone. If you find any similar unusual activity on your phone, the chances are that your WhatsApp account is hacked by someone.
Even though WhatsApp is secured with two-layer encryption, we still need to pay extra caution while using it to maintain our privacy and confidentiality. Always check your encryption while sharing sensitive information like Credit/Debit card details or any other personal information.
And last but not least, be aware of the scams and frauds that are common in cyberspace. Do not click on any unsecured link or any other document or file that is sent by an unknown source. Yes, it is true that Whatsapp is not 100% secure but if you use all the security protocols carefully and be a little more observant, you can surely shield your WhatsApp account from getting hacked.