“As a dealer, we use the fast-moving consumer goods model. We make sure that the customer comes to the dealer.”
Onkar Kanwar (Chairman & MD, Apollo Tyres)
An international tyre manufacturer and the leading tyre brand in India, Apollo Tyres was incepted in 1972. At present, the company has a total of six manufacturing units- 4 in India and 1 each in the Netherlands and Hungary. India’s 5th and 7th globally, is coming up in Andra Pradesh.
Powered by its two global brands – Apollo and Vredestein, the company’s product portfolio includes the entire range of passenger cars, light trucks, SUVs, two-wheelers, agriculture, industrial, specialty bicycle, and off the road tyres, and retreading material and tyres. These products are available in over 100 countries worldwide through a vast network of branded, exclusive and multi-product outlets.
Apollo Tyres actively invests in bringing innovative tyre technologies to the Indian market and has also expanded its customer service experience by updating safety measures at authorised stores and outlets.
THE FACE BEHIND APOLLO TYRES
Onkar Kanwar, the Chairman and Managing Director of Apollo Tyres, is the chief architect of the company’s vision and value-driven business strategy. Onkar plays a critical role in the articulation of the company’s business philosophy.
His guiding principles are modernisation, excellence, and quality. Under his strategic leadership and guidance, Apollo Tyres has transformed itself from an Indian manufacturer of commercial vehicle tyres to a global company with a full-fledged product portfolio, spanning 3 continents.
He is a Science and Administration graduate from the University of California. He devotes a large part of his time to reading and is passionate about learning modern management practices and their successful application in Apollo Tyres.
PRODUCT PORTFOLIO OF APOLLO TYRES
Apollo Tyres is the first global brand to introduce fuel-efficient tyres. Innovative products from the brand include the Alnac 4G tyre for cars, the Apterra tyres series for SUVs, and the Apollo Alpha bike tyre. Here is the entire range of products offered by Apollo Tyres:
Apollo Car Tyres
Apollo’s ‘4G’ series car tyres are highly popular among car and SUV owners, ensuring better performance, mileage, and fuel efficiency. Considering in mind the harsh Indian roads, the company has designed the Alnac, Amazer, and Apterra range of car tyres after extensive research. Car tyres by Apollo are among the most sought after passenger vehicle tyres in India.
Apollo Bike Tyres
Designed in various types and sizes, Apollo makes front and rear tyres for all types of two-wheelers, from street bike tyres and high-performance racing bike tyres, to touring motorcycle tyres. The entire range is available in both tube type and tubeless variants and comes with features like puncture resistance, high-speed stability, superior grip on dry and wet roads, improved braking performance, etc.
Tubeless Tyres for Car & Bikes
Tubeless tyres are considered superior to tube-type tyres due to their lighter build, better puncture resistance, structural stability, and other benefits. They can also auto-heal punctures with a liquid sealant’s help, which oozes and seals the hole cut by a sharp object. Apollo Tyres makes the best tubeless car and bike tyres.
Apollo Tyres has developed a Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) framework that revolves around the principle of the three I’s i.e. to involve, influence, and impact the key stakeholders- Customers, Supply Chain Partners, Employees, and Community.
The initiatives of Apollo Tyres are in two themes: Environment and Social. Within the themes, there are 4 core areas of work:
- Healthcare Programme for Trucking Community
- Solid Waste Management and Sanitation
- Livelihood for Underprivileged Women
- Biodiversity Conservation
GLOBAL R&D ACHIEVEMENTS
- Over 200 patents filed on tyre technology across the global business with many of them filed in Europe, India or the USA
- Developed ultra-low rolling resistance technology (ULLR) for an ‘A’ rating in the Rolling Resistance label
- Focus on creating tyres with sustainable materials in line with the European green deal project
- Developed Zero Degree Steel Belted motorcycle technology for high-performance radial tyres
- Developed Fuel-efficient nRG series TBR tyres with no compromise on mileage or durability
FEATHERS IN THE CAP
Some of the accolades and awards received by Apollo Tyres are:
- CSR Health Impact Award 2021 under the ‘Health CSR Project – Health Campaign of the Year’ category for the remarkable work done under the healthcare initiative for the trucking community, during the COVID 19 crisis.
- ICSI (The Institute of Company Secretaries of India) CSR Excellence Award 2019 under the ‘Best Corporate in Large’ category.
- CSR Excellence Award under the Livelihood Creation category by Gujarat CSR Summit and Awards for its livelihood programme in Gujarat.
- Indywood CSR Excellence Award under Best CSR Campaign – Biodiversity and Climate Change category, organised by Indywood Film Carnival.
Since its inception in 1972, Apollo Tyres believes in giving its customers new choices that put them in control and help them conquer the road ahead. The company helps its customers to achieve their own potential when it comes to driving and in every area of life as reflected in its tagline ‘go the distance’ and vision ‘Driving Progress, together’.