A Child’s immune system does a remarkable job of defending against disease-causing pathogens such as viruses, bacteria, parasites, and other harmful microorganisms. Sometimes, the immune system fails to combat germs, making children sick. There are different types of cells in the human body. The immune system has separate mechanisms to deal with microbes. Let’s dive into the tips on How to Boost Immunity In Kids?
The immune system requires regular nourishment in form of minerals, nutrients, and anti-oxidants.
Children and Immunity System:
The human body’s first line of defense is skin, followed by digestive tract lining and mucus all working together to restrict the entry of germs into the body.
A child’s immune system strengthens with age and exposure to bacteria and viruses. Common cold infects the immune system of a child five times during the first 5 years of life.
Immunity boosters are foods, fruits, vegetables, or even artificial supplements that help a child’s immune system to fight against diseases. They strengthen the body from within. They also act as a perfect growth food for the kids. It is utterly important in growth years of a child. The body can only fight with potent sources of infection if they have strong immune system.
Some benefits of Immunity boosters
- Protects children from various diseases and infections
- Replenish a lot of essential nutrients, like vitamins, minerals, etc. in the body
- Helps speed up the healing process
- Helps in maintaining body weight, blood pressure, digestion, body growth, and healthy cholesterol
Natural Immunity Boosters
- Fruits, vegetables, and dairy possess natural immunity boosters such as beta carotene, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and zinc. Broccoli, cauliflower, kale, kiwi, orange juice, papaya, red, green, or yellow pepper, sweet potato, strawberries, tomatoes, avocados, peanuts, almonds, spinach, eggs, dairy, and milk have natural immunity boosters.
- Berries, beans, flax seeds, and nuts strengthen immunity in children
- Few immunity-boosting herbs are garlic, black cumin, and licorice.
Nutrition and Immunity: Being cautious and protective is not enough to protect children from harmful germs. The right nutrition is a priority to boost their immunity. The right source and amount of food can help enhance the nutrient source within a child, eventually leading to a strong and healthy body.
- Nutrient deficiencies in children can expose them to infections and diseases
- Decreased food intake leads to malnutrition
- Nutrient deficiencies in children stripe away the immuno-nutrients that can fight infections and diseases
Vitamins and Minerals as Immunity Boosters
Few vitamins and minerals that improve immune functions in children are vitamin A, C, D, E, B6, B12, E, Zinc, Selenium, Copper, and Folic Acid.
- A healthy diet consists of a variety of nutritious foods like – fresh fruits and vegetables, necessary fats and oils from fish, tuna, nuts, eggs, or seeds.
- Vitamin C is a vital nutrient that supports the immune system. Green leafy vegetables, citrus fruits, kiwis, and strawberries are rich sources of Vitamin C.
- Children need plenty of foods rich in iron such as meat, spinach, broccoli, nuts, and beans.
- Vitamin B6 strengthens children’s immune systems. Whole grain cereals, legumes, green and leafy vegetables, fish and shellfish, meat, nuts, and liver are rich sources of Vitamin B6.
Foods that Boost Immunity In Kids:
Button mushrooms, acai berry, oysters, watermelon, wheat germ, low-fat yogurt, spinach, tea, sweet potato, broccoli, garlic, miso, chicken soup, pomegranate juice, ginger, and elderberry are few foods that can boost a child’s immunity. There are a lot of foods, fruits, and vegetables that can naturally enhance children’s immune systems. One of the easiest ways to improve immunity is to have a healthy and wholesome diet.
Healthy Practices to Boost Immunity In Kids
Exercising improves blood circulation, maintains cardiovascular health, lowers blood pressure, helps control body weight, and protects against a variety of diseases keeping the heart healthy and body relaxed
Sleep and water
Children need a good amount of sleep and lots of water to stay active and hydrated. This practice boosts immunity naturally. As suggested by doctors, 8 hours of undisturbed good night sleep is must. 4-5 liters of water intake per day is considered as good.
The key to human health lies in immunity. So stay active and eat healthy to beat the germs. Following some simple precautions will help a person to stay heathy. Exercise should not be excluded along with balanced diet. Remember, Good health is equal to Good life.