Mary Elizabeth Truss, popularly known as Liz Truss is a British politician. She was born in 1975 to Left Wing parents. Right from her childhood, she was exposed to the political environment. Liz studied Politics, Philosophy and Economics at Merton College, Oxford. During her college days, Truss was an enthusiastic individual who held the position of President at the university branch of the Liberal Democratic Party.
Truss also worked for a right-of-centre think tank and got involved in Conservative politics. After getting involved in political treatise and campaigns, Truss got a job as a food and environment secretary in 2014. It was her first job in the cabinet.
In one of her recent interviews, Liz Truss described her parents as “to the left of Labour” and stated that she’s not sure if her father would vote for her or not.
The Shortest Serving Prime Minister of the UK
After Boris Johnson resigned from his position, the UK got its new Prime Minister Liz Truss on September 05, 2022. Climbing the political ladder, Liz won the race against Rishi Sunak, who was said to be a strong contender in the battle. The 47-year-old foreign secretary, Liz became the 56th Prime Minister of the country.
Liz Truss’s Resignation
Liz Truss promised to come up with revised tax policies which would include tax cuts. She also vowed to deal with a growing energy crisis but on October 20, 2022, she resigned as the Conservative Party Leader. She had to resign due to a number of reasons:
- Truss refused to appoint anyone to the government who did not support her campaign.
- Introduction of the mini-budget which sought to reduce income taxes for the highest earners. As the economy was suffering through high inflation, the mini-budget caused market turmoil.
- As Liz experienced unfavourable market reactions, she started announcing U-turns upon U-turns. She also sacked her chancellor who voiced her own economic plans.
Why Rishi Sunak lost the election earlier?
Reportedly, there was a list of factors responsible behind Rishi Sunak losing the PM elections, the major factor was loyalty. Some Tory members questioned the loyalty of Rishi and blamed him for the rebellion that ended the ministership of Boris Johnson.
At the same time, some were of the opinion that Rishi might have negatively impacted his own image while bringing down Johnson from his position.
Rishi Sunak and Akshata Murthy had retained their US green cards, even after returning to the UK, which led to questioning their commitment to the country.
- SUCCESS STORY OF TIM COOK: A MAN WITH A VISION
- TOP 10 RICHEST BILLIONAIRES IN THE WORLD 2022
- Top 10 Indian Origin CEOs Leading International Companies
- HIGHEST-PAID CEOs IN THE WORLD
- Success Story Of Mukesh Ambani
- TOP 10 NEWSPAPERS IN THE WORLD 2022
- Elon Musk: Biography Of A Self-Made Entrepreneur And Billionaire
- 10 GADGETS TO KEEP YOU COOL THIS SUMMER
- 7 R’s Of Waste Management – Steps To Sustainability