Operating in the pharmaceutical sector is not an easy job. It involves a lot of responsibilities, integrity, and dignity to thrive as a pharma company. Ipca is a consumer-led global pharmaceutical company that is creating healthy doses since 1949 and following all the core values needed to survive in the pharmaceutical sector.
The company manufactures over 350 formulations and 80 APIs for different therapeutic segments. Today, it has become one of the world’s largest manufacturers and suppliers of APIs. At Ipca, all the APIs are manufactured from scratch at fully automated manufacturing facilities and are approved by the world’s leading regulatory authorities like UK-MHRA, EDQM-Europe, WHO-Geneva, and many more.
Premchand Godha is the Chairman and Managing Director of the company. Under his supervision, the company has achieved massive success and has proudly brought Ipca to the forefront of the Pharmaceutical market.
BUSINESS UNITS OF THE COMPANY
- Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs)
The company produces 80 APIs at 12 production facilities. Its focus has always been on backward integration, resulting in superior supply chain reliability and cost competitiveness in the market. Its manufacturing leadership extends across Atenolol (anti-hypertensive), Chloroquine Phosphate (anti-malarial), Chlorthalidone (diuretic), Furosemide (diuretic), Hydroxychloroquine Sulphate (DMARD), Losartan (anti-hypertensive), Metoprolol Succinate (anti-hypertensive), Metoprolol Tartrate (anti-hypertensive), Pyrantel Salts (anthelmintic), and Propranolol (anti-hypertensive).
- Branded Formulations-India
Ipca manufactures more than 350 formulations in almost every dosage form. Its 4 branded formulations are ranked amongst the top 300 brands of the Indian Pharma Market as per IQVIA’s May 2020 report. Ipca is present in every corner of India with 25 depots and 3200 stockists across the country. Its finished formulations can be found at over 5,00,000 retail shops in India.
- Branded Formulations-International
Ipca markets its branded generics to the Rest of the World (ROW) market. It has a workforce of around 900 employees in around 40 countries across various geographies like East, and West Africa, South East Asia, the CIS, Latin & Central America. Ipca’s ROW product basket includes around 75 brands spanning many therapeutic categories like Nutritional supplements, Cardiovascular, Diabetes, CNS, Pain management & Arthritis, Anti-infectives, Anthelmintics, Gastroenterology, Ophthalmic, etc.
- Generic Formulations
Ipca offers a diverse product portfolio that caters to major therapeutic segments in virtually every dosage form- Oral liquids, Powder for suspension, and Small volume injections (dry & liquid). To compete with the growing generic arena, it has fortified its capabilities in terms of infrastructure by establishing 4 manufacturing facilities catering to regulated markets.
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
- Chemical & Biotechnological Research and Development
Over the past few years, Ipca has been focusing on conducting research and development of path-breaking products. The focus of the R&D team is to produce inventive concepts and ideas, tapping both market needs and synergies across therapeutic domains. Major activities and expertise of this division include:
- Chemical Research: It includes new and alternative cost-effective process routes, non-infringing processes, process engineering, impurity and standards synthesis, green Chemistry, Novel polymorphs/derivatives, Productivity enhancement through a continuous batch, and increasing plant friendliness.
- Analytical Research: It includes method development, impurity profiling of APIs, method validation, and regulatory compliance meeting global standards.
- Bioprocessing and metabolic engineering: The focus of this unit is to develop a strong pipeline of fermentation products to reduce dependency on imports.
- New Drug Discovery and Development: It includes discovering New Chemical Entities, Drug repurposing, and improvements, and collaborating with international research organizations. One of the novel molecules (AT-10) produced has shown very promising antiplatelet activity and is currently in clinical Phase-I trial in the USA and India.
- Formulation Development : To conduct high-quality research activities and prototype development, Ipca has its Formulation Development Laboratory in Mumbai. Some formulation R&D capabilities include design and development of new dosage forms, pre-formulation studies, process optimization/validation studies, technology transfer of new products, lab/pilot-scale studies, stability studies as per ICH guidance, technical supports to manufacturing location, technology, and latest development up-gradation to provide technically superior, process efficient and International standards product.
CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
With the belief that everyone deserves a healthy dose of life, Ipca engages in various CSR activities. It works in the areas of patient health, employee and public safety, nurturing the environment, and building sustainable communities. It has also established a charitable trust Prabhat Foundation to improve the lives of the underprivileged and contribute towards the betterment of the society.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
Because of its research expertise, the company has bagged a lot of admiration in the pharma industry. Some of the awards it has received are:
- CPhI Pharma Excellence Award – Madrid, 2018
- Best patent award from Pharmexcil in the years 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, and 2014
- Best patent award from IDMA in the years 2008, 2009, 2014, and 2016
Working on the core values of quality, safety, integrity, dignity, and responsibility, Ipca has been advancing global healthcare for more than 65 years. With a presence in 120+ countries and 350+ formulations, Ipca is emerging as a leading pharmaceutical company.